Friday, February 06, 2004

Spent a few hours wandering around Topkapi Palace on Thursday morning. Definitely impressive - the residence of the Ottoman Emperors. After getting a bit cold, I headed back to the hostel for a break and then off to a Hamam. Ah. we definitely need those in Indiana. Something to do on cold winter afternoons. It's really just like a massage in a bubblebath. And then the marathon journey across Europe! Arrived at the airport a bit before midnight. Flight left on time at 3:45 am. ack. Arrived around 6am at the Cologne/Bonn airport. I had thought I might go into town and wander a bit, but instead I spent the entire time lounging around, sleeping, reading, and eating at the airport. Not a bad day actually considering I was still recovering a bit from being sick. Left Germany, arrived Stansted airport around 7am. Definitely not the not the most convenient airport from which to get to Bath. I ended up taking buses via Heathrow and arrived downtown Bath around 2am. Bus up to the security office to collect my key. All going well - even ran into an exchange student from germany doing the same thing. At any rate, bad communication somewhere and they had no key for me - or the german either. Instead they gave us "emergency rooms," on campus housing basically set up like hotel rooms for when people visit for conferences. A nice 5 hour rest, then up and to the orientation session. The campus is pretty small so no trouble there. It is also expected that you just show up to classes you may like and then finally register by the end of February. Already met quite a few americans which is kindof nice after the wilds of Turkey. Haven't been back down to town and my room - hopefully this afternoon before the free buffet dinner. I am in Carpenter house which is right in the middle of everything. Everything is rather terribley expensive here though - might even have to come up with a budget to make it through till after the summer! Tomorrow they are taking us on a little excursion to Stonehenge and Salisbury. Hopefully in a day or so I will have my laptop and internet set up in my room. Also a mobile phone eventually... we'll see if I can afford it I guess!

No comments: