Thursday, February 12, 2004

so it has been awhile...
First my flatmates have been absolutely wonderful. 3 are also new exchange students: Jean from Chile, Claude from Luxembourg, and Jakub from Czech rep. The others have been here awhile and the girls are actually working and not students: Danny from England, Harry from Japan, Mandy from Germany, and Suzanne from Scotland. Quite an iternational group for sure. Sometimes it means that I do get real food too.

Classes are also working themselves out, at last. Their system is still crazy. Right now it looks like my schedule is this: Monday - 9:15, biopolymers; 11:15 synthesis of medicinal compounds; 1:15 cellular neurobiology. Tuesday - 3:15, cellular neurobiology. Wednesday - 11:15 contemporary literature and film of the british isles. Thursday - maybe nothing, or maybe i'll take international british history. Friday- 9:15 cellular neurobiology.
I also, thankfully, got a spot in the field ecology course that will be April 3-8 in the Glower peninsula of wales. If anyone has a good field guide and/or stat book.... i'd love to borrow them.

So LOTS of freetime. Might make Thursday a day trip sorta day. And if necessary it wont be a problem to just skip town on wednesday afternoon for a long weekend. Went out a couple of nights this week. Already very evident that drinking (along with everything else in the country!!) is darn expensive. So I'm thinking of finding a nice hobby for my spare time. motorcycle classes in bristol? samba percussion club on monday nights? hmm.... what to do, what to do.

I've been all over town at this point. It is really quite compact - 15 min to walk from The Circus and the Royal Crescent to the Abbey. But beautiful since everything is made of bath stone. I even walk up and back from campus regularly - saves money on the bus and gives me a decent workout. I'm not such a fan of the uphill climb, but still....

I do have internet in my room now, which is basically my only source of entertainment besides actually going out and doing things. No TV which will be very good for me. Just the occasional movie with the flatmates. Really thats about all the news I can come up with. Hope for a more entertaining weekend!

No comments: