Sunday, February 08, 2004

so time for a better update from bath. After a lovely night sleep in my own room and bed - at last... Yesterday went on a trip with a bunch of the exchange students to Stonehenge and Salisbury. A beautiful sunny morning until we stepped out of the bus at stonehenge and were hit by stinging rain sleet. ack. glorious english weather for ya. Did the walk around the stones, impressive of course if a little overwhelmingly touristy. Then four hours wandering around in Salisbury - spent one or so wandering the cathedral and examining their original magna carta. Giant lunch and pretend shopping as we were all to cheap. Definitely will be expensive living here. Prices seem reasonable because I still think in dollars. Then you basically have to multiply everything by 2... sigh. Spent the last couple of days grocery shopping and setting up house if you will. Kindof what I had to do this summer in Indy but a little more so since I cant just go get stuff from home if i need to. So back to pasta, chips and dip, crackers, bread. the basics. haha. at least everyone else in my kitchen unit seems to know how to cook. Everyone has been great in giving me advice and welcoming me and the other 2 new exchange students. A very international group. The other two new students are a guys from luxembourg and chile. added to people from japan, germany, england, and france. They all seem to go out together pretty often - of course classes havent started yet either. Outside I have more or less set myself up with a group of American friends. plus one from denmark. Went over to their residence hall last night - 5 min away or so. hung out in the kitchen drinking a bit before heading down to Green Park pub for awhile. Met some English students and hung out till the place closed at 1 - they actually rung a bell and did a last call and everything. never heard that in Spain for sure. It will take some getting used to that things close so early here - normally pubs close about 11pm... when i am ready to go out in the US. it is probably better though - more sleep definitely. We hung out a while longer at their residence hall and I walked home around 3. People still awake in my kitchen - 2 chilean guys and the french girl. They made me taste pico, this chilean alcohol drink. eh. no great in my mind but the chileans love it. then a long long sleep and today havent accomplished much. went out to buy more house supplies and did laundry at long last. Now i am stealing my neighboors computer since although my laptop is set up, I cant arrange to get internet until things at the university open on monday. For those who are interested - I do have a phone in my room so just email me and I will send you the number if you ever want to call. Of course at this point care packages would be much appreciated too..... havent quite figured out where i pick up mail but I am sure I can handle it.

No comments: